1. Diabetes is asilent epidemicand according to WHO there are246 million people in the world living with diabetes. This is almost 6% of the world's adult population.
2. Diabetes inAsians is five timesthe rate of the white population
3. India is thediabetes capitalof the world. It is estimated that currently there are 40 million people with diabetes in India and by 2025 this number will swell to 70 million. This would mean every fifth diabetic in the world would be an Indian.
4.Central obesity orapple shape of the body and insulin resistanceis the main reason for diabetes increase in Indians
5. Diabetes causes 6 deaths every minute and one in 20 deaths in the world is due to the condition. Every year it is estimated that3.2 million people in the world diedue to the diabetes or its related causes.
6. Diabetes is an important 'silent killer disease' as there is usually no early symptom of the disease. The commonest early symptom isfeeling thirsty
7. Almost90 to 95% of diabetes is of type 2or maturity onset type; that affects people in their middle age. Type 1 or juvenile diabetes affects 70,000 children under the age of 15 years every year.
8. The major cause of increase in the incidence of diabetes is asedentary lifestyle. Exercise and diet can either reduce or delay the incidence of diabetes by over 50%.
9. Diabetes is the number one cause ofkidney failurein the world. Besides this every year it is responsible for 5% or 5 million blindness in adults and one million limb amputations. Diabetes is also an important cause of heart disease, stroke and cataract.
10. The current cost of treating diabetes and its complications in the world is estimated asUS $ 215-375 billion. The disease is growing fastest in developing countries where there are more people in the lower and middle-income group.